Your visit to San Francisco isn’t complete without biking the Golden Gate Bridge! Consistently voted as one of the MUST DO’s while you’re in town, this tour is considered the most up close and personal way to experience this iconic landmark.
Begin your morning by soaking in the unique views and cityscapes that only our beautiful City by the Bay can offer you. While the Golden Gate Bridge is the main attraction of this tour, there are many other sites to enjoy along the way as well. You pass Fisherman’s Wharf, Aquatic Park, Fort Point, the Palace of Fine Arts and much more. Make sure to take advantage of the numerous opportunities to stop, relax and take photos!
There is plenty of time to ride at your own pace. Choose one of our 7-speed bikes, or if you prefer something with a little more kick…we have electric bikes ready for you as well! Our bikes are professionally-maintained and safety-checked before every tour.
This is a “beginner to intermediate” bike ride. We have bikes suitable for anyone 12+ years of age, and electronic bikes are available to anyone 16 years or older.
After biking the Golden Gate bridge, enjoy an easy downhill ride toward the gorgeous, quiet town of Sausalito. Here you can enjoy a leisurely lunch while taking in the small town vibe and waterfront views of this charming community.
After lunch in Sausalito, we embark on our minibus service to Muir Woods.
The Muir Woods National Monument is among the oldest and last living coastal redwoods in the world. You need reservations to access the sites and trails, and we have all the details handled for you in advance.
While it’s just a few miles north of San Francisco, Muir Woods is a world all it’s own. Many of the trees here are over 1,000 years old and over 250 feet tall. This ancient landmark offers over 550 acres of one-of-a-kind nature walks and trails. More than 300 different types of plants and animals call Muir Woods home.
You have over 75 minutes to enjoy this incredible monument. Considered by many to be the highlight of their entire trip, this breathtaking redwood forest is sure to leave you with memories that last a lifetime.
Check out the itinerary and additional details below, and book your tour today. We’re excited to see you!
Itinerary/What to Expect
Please Note – Since this is a self-guided tour with a flexible start time, times on this itinerary can vary. Additional route details and information provided in your confirmation email, as well as in person the day of your tour. Our local guides are excited to answer any of your questions and make recommendations for places to stop!
9:15-10:30AM – Pick up your bike at 782 Columbus Ave, Dylan’s Bike Shop. We have your bike tuned up and ready for you! If you’re staying in one of the many Bay Area hotels, we can even pick you up. For details on hotel pickup service, please see our FAQ below.
Upon arrival, our staff provides you with your bike, as well as detailed directions and a map with suggested stops for your ride! We also provide you a bike lock and helmet to keep you safe on your ride.
Picking up your bike anytime in this window allows plenty of time to ride to Sausalito. The earlier you pick up your bike, the more time you’ll have!
12:00PM – Arrive in Sausalito. Depending on your cycling pace and when you picked up your bikes, you have between 1-2 hours to enjoy lunch along the beautiful waterfront views!
This is the final stop on the self-guided bike tour. After lunch and taking in the Sausalito sites at your own leisure, your bike can be returned to our shop in Sausalito at 34 Princess Street.
1:45PM – Meet your shuttle to Muir Woods at 750 Bridgeway Ave (Bank of America) in Sausalito. From here, your guide will safely take you from Sausalito to Muir Woods, where you’ll have over 75 minutes to take in the redwood forest. We have your reservation and all the details handled, so all you have to do is show up and enjoy the sites!
4:00PM – Return to San Francisco. After an amazing day of riding across the Golden Gate Bridge, a picturesque lunch in Sausalito, and an afternoon among the giant redwood trees of Muir Woods, we drop you off back in San Francisco (Fisherman’s Wharf).
- Sightsee San Francisco on the way to the Golden Gate Bridge
- Ride a bike across the Golden Gate Bridge
- Have lunch in beautiful Sausalito
- Everything you need is included: map, helmet, bike lock and more
- Lots of time and stops available for photo opportunities
- Minibus service to Muir Woods
Why Pick this Tour
Firstly, we are the only team that provides this tour! We’ve specifically designed it to be the most family-friendly and efficient tour available. Secondly, we are not a big bus company. San Francisco tour companies commonly provide large hop-on, hop-off buses to take you around town, but we aim for a much more comfortable, personal experience.
Our guides are all born and raised locals, so we have intimate knowledge and unmatched enthusiasm for our city. But we also make use of specialized minibuses that are built especially for city touring. We can (and do) literally take you where the big buses can’t go.
Our tour buses have large windows for a full view of the city. We provide air-conditioning, lots of both standing and sitting room, and we make plenty of stops for photo opportunities. This is the ideal way to enjoy San Francisco in comfort while making memories at the same time.
We’re excited for your visit here, and we’re looking forward to meeting you!
- Our flexible pickup times (9:15-10:30AM) allow you plenty of time to cross the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito, without feeling rushed prior to meeting the shuttle to Muir Woods.
- On average, it takes roughly 2 hours, biking at a very leisurely pace (i.e. stopping along the route for photos and enjoying the different neighborhoods) to bike from our bike shop to Sausalito.
- The route is 9 miles and has 2 hills. Overall this is a “beginner/intermediate” bike ride, suitable for almost anyone young or old. We do recommend being at least 12 years old. For the electric bikes we offer, we recommend being at least 16.
- We recommend spending 60-90 minutes in Sausalito. Therefore, even if you pick up your bike at 10:30AM, and take the full 2 hours to ride to Sausalito, you still have over 60 minutes for lunch!
- Bike pickup location: Dylan’s Bike Shop – 782 Columbus Ave, San Francisco CA.
- Bike drop-off location: “The Sport History Gallery” 34 Princess Street, Sausalito CA.
- Minibus boarding (for the Muir Woods Add-On): Bank of America (Sausalito) – 750 Bridgeway Ave, Sausalito CA.
What People are Saying
“The Bike the Bridge tour was outstanding! Sausalito is an amazing little town that I never would have gone to if it was not for this tour! If you have a day in San Francisco take this tour!” – Drew Johnson
“We did the Bike the Bridge and Muir Woods Tour and it was a perfect way to combine two things we really wanted to do in a convenient way.” – Mel
“We were not disappointed. Our guide was amazing – really knowledgeable and just keen to give you the best time. What more could you want from this kind of tour?” – Martin
Where To Meet
Our bicycle pickup is at Dylan’s Tours bike shop, located at 782 Columbus Avenue
Have questions? Here’s the most frequently asked.
How long is the bike ride to catch the Muir Woods Shuttle?
The ride from our bike shop is approximately 9 miles (15 km) to Sausalito, where you will catch the Muir Woods Shuttle. It is 90% flat, and the main hill is going up to the Golden Gate Bridge.
What can we expect to see on our ride?
Your ride will be along the beautiful San Francisco Bay, where you will pass Aquatic Park, the Palace of Fine Arts, Crissy Field, and the Golden Gate Bridge! Biking the bridge is rated as the #1 thing for people do while in San Francisco. After crossing the bridge, we encourage our guests to enjoy lunch in Sausalito before catching the shuttle up to Muir Woods National Monument. The ride features some bike paths and some street traffic, as well as the aforementioned comfortable hill or two.
Is the bike rental child friendly?
Our standard rentals are for ages 12 and up and our electric bikes are for ages 16+
Sausalito and Ferry Schedule
Sausalito is a beautiful waterfront town with many shops and restaurants. It is definitely worth spending time here. If you want to take the ferry back to San Francisco you can view the schedule here.
When does the bike need to be returned?
You will return your bike when you arrive in Sausalito.
How does the hotel pickup work?
It is simple! Just tell us that you want hotel pick up during check out. We will coordinate the rest.
Why choose Dylan’s Bike the Bridge & Shuttle to Muir Woods?
1. It’s an all inclusive day!
We’ve combined our two favorite activities in San Francisco into one great day. Enjoy your bike ride across the Golden Gate Bridge, then catch our round trip shuttle up to Muir Woods National Monument and back to the city!
2. No waiting around!
NO ferry, NO taxi, NO Uber. Let us take care of the transportation for you, just sit back and enjoy the day.
3. We are the only company in San Francisco offering this tour
This is the best (and ONLY) way to bike the bridge and see Muir Woods National Monument, period.
4. 100% Refund Guarantee:
Change of plans? Feeling under the weather? We are happy to refund your entire tour with 24 hours advance notice.
5. Independently Owned:
We aren’t one of the big bus companies, and it shows. Dylan’s is owned and operated by San Francisco native Dylan David.
What type of bike do we use for Bike the Bridge & Shuttle to Muir Woods?
You can choose between a 7-speed bike or an Electric bike for our Bike the Bridge and Shuttle to Muir Woods National Monument package tour.
What is Muir Woods and Sausalito?
Muir Woods National Monument is located 20 minutes north of the Golden Gate Bridge and is home to some of the oldest and tallest living trees in the world.
This popular destination is part of the United States National Park service and is considered to be one of the most peaceful destinations in the Bay Area. We consider it to be one of the top highlights of the Dylan’s Famous Tour and A Day in the Bay tours.
Located just across the Golden Gate Bridge, this artistic enclave has the setting and beauty of a European, mediterranean town. For both our Dylan’s Famous and A Day in the Bay Tours, you will enjoy your lunch on the picturesque waterfront, enjoying views of the San Francisco Bay.
Why is it beneficial to book directly on Dylanstours.com ?
We sincerely appreciate your interest in our tour company and look forward to showing you our version of San Francisco. When you book directly through our website it allows us to provide the best possible customer service, including:
1. Emailing or calling you directly to communicate our meeting location, last-minute details and tips about your tour. If you book with a 3rd party, we don’t receive your contact information and may not be able to get ahold of you.
2. Easy cancellations; when booking outside of our website it takes several days to get your money back to you should you need to cancel.
3. Dylan’s employees are here to help. When you book with us on the web or over the phone our team is here to help every step of the way – from hotel and restaurant recommendations to the best way to get to San Francisco from the airport.
4. The ability to keep our prices fair; when you book outside of our website we pay a 20% commission and therefore have to increase the cost of our tours.
What is your cancellation policy?
All tours require a 24 hour advance cancellation for a full refund*
*Any Alcatraz tour requires a 7 day advance cancellation
How are your minibuses different from other tour buses?
Instead of an
Can I make changes to my reservation?
There are many websites across the internet where you can book a tour with us. They all have different terms. When possible, we request that you book directly here on our website. This enables us to not only provide you the best pricing available, but it also enables us to provide a much more customized level of service. Just give us 24 hours notice, and it’s our pleasure to accommodate any possible changes to your tour.
More Tours To Explore!
"Everything Included on our Dylan's Famous Tour, without Muir Woods"
- A half-day
tour designed for those with less time small group
- Your local guide will show you our favorite San Francisco neighborhoods and teach you the history of our city
- Tour ends in beautiful waterfront town Sausalito
- Enjoy the world's most famous scenic ferry ride across the bay
“Morning and afternoon departures available! Include the Official Alcatraz Tour with your morning departure ”
- This half-day tour offers 2-departure times
- The Official Alcatraz Tour is included with our morning option - we handle all the arrangements
- 75 minutes in majestic Muir Woods
- Great for visitors with only 1-day in San Francisco